CAOLIN 2019, The 6th Edition – May 16-19, 2019
Applications are open for CAOLIN 2019 – The International Contemporary Ceramics Festival to be held in Cluj-Napoca, Romania
We are delighted to announce that the applications are open for the fair within CAOLIN 2019 – The 6th International Contemporary Ceramics Festival to be held in the historic center of Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Ceramic artists all over the world are invited to apply and participate in the event between May 16-19, 2019.
The applications are now closed.
Caolin is the only contemporary ceramics festival in Romania, whose purpose is to promote ceramics in an interactive way, encouraging and stimulating cooperation between the public and artists throughout the event.
Now entering it’s 6th year, CAOLIN 2019 (May 16-19,2019) will celebrate ceramics through a range of events to be held in different locations in the historic center of Cluj-Napoca, Romania:
– The International Contemporary Ceramics Fair;
– An exhibition of Tărtăria tablets, which reportedly represent the earliest known form of writing in the world;
– An exhibition of international contemporary ceramic art works from the collection of Cluj Ceramics Biennale;
– A variety of workshops for people to learn ceramic making skills;
– A wheel throwing demonstration by Romanian pottery master Daniel Leș;
– Ceramics-related film screenings and live interviews.
This year’s edition will coincide with Noaptea Muzeelor (the Long Night of Museums), which will bring a large number of visitors to CAOLIN.
The event is organized by Caolin, a non-profit organization founded in 2014 in order to promote ceramic art and to offer the public the opportunity to interact with this medium. Let’s celebrate ceramics together!
The International Contemporary Ceramics Festival is held Under the High Patronage of Her Royal Highness Princess Maria of Romania.
OFFICIAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE FAIR
CAOLIN 2019 will take place according to the official terms and conditions, which all participants and organizers need to abide by.
- March 20 – April 25, 2019 – Application timeframe for CAOLIN 2019
- April 26, 2019 – Selection process
- April 27, 2019 – The participating artists are informed of the outcome of the selection
- May 3, 2019 – Acceptance fee deadline
- May 16, 2019 (10 AM – 12 PM) – Setting up the objects by the participating artists
- May 16, 2019 (6 PM) – The official opening of CAOLIN 2019 (free access)
- May 17, 2019 (12 PM – 8 PM) – The fair is open (coincides with Zilele Clujului event)
- May 18, 2019 (3 PM – 1 AM) – The fair is open (coincides with Zilele Clujului event and the Long Night of the Museums)
- May 19, 2019 (12 PM – 8 PM) – The fair is open (coincides with Zilele Clujului event)
- May 20, 2019 (12 PM – 8 PM) – The participating artists collect their work
- The artists who wish to apply for CAOLIN 2019 need to be at least 18 years old.
- Artists can apply either individually or as a group, the latter being valid only in case they attend Art Universities.
- Everybody who wants to sign up needs to upload in their online application pictures of the objects they want to participate with.
- There are no restrictions concerning the shape or weight of the objects. Installations are also permitted.
- The final work needs to be made of ceramics up to 60% at the least.
THE ONLINE APPLICATION
- The artists who wish to apply for the fair need to fill out all the required fields on the online application and to provide any other additional information requested through email.
- The artists that haven’t received any feedback from our team by April 28, 2019, are kindly asked to contact Caolin via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The selected artists need to confirm their participation by paying the 400 RON (approxi-mately 100 USD or 85 EUR, depending on the currency rate) acceptance fee, respectively 300 RON (approximately 80 USD or 65 EUR, depending on the currency rate) in case they are college students. The deadline is May 3, 2019 and the fee should be paid either through PayPal or Transferwise (by card or bank transfer). The acceptance fee is to be paid only once and is non-refundable.
INFORMATION REQUIRED ON THE ONLINE APPLICATION
- First and last name *
- Brand (optional)
- Complete address *
- Date of birth (optional)
- Phone number *
- Email *
- Website (optional)
- Artist statement *
- Resume *
- Additional information about the work (optional): title, approximate price etc.
- Materiale used *
- Pictures of the work (at least 5, but no more than 10) *
- Artist portrait *
- Brand / company logo (optional)
* the fields marked with “*” are mandatory.
- The organizers are responsible for providing the applicants accurate information regard-ing the event and for following the terms and conditions.
- The selection committee has the responsibility to ensure that the selection process is fair and impartial.
- The organizers have the responsibility to inform every artist of the outcome of the selec-tion, either via mail, email or by phone.
- The organizers cannot be accountable for potential damage to the work or theft through-out the event.
- The organizers are responsible for respecting the accuracy of the information provided by the participants regarding their work and to present it in the same manner in the promotional materials.
- The organizers have the responsibility to provide free housing to the participating artists who do not reside in Cluj-Napoca. Housing is provided at The Spot Cosy Hostel for 5 nights (Wednesday – May 15th, through Monday – May 20th; check-out is due on Monday – May 20th).
- The organizers have the responsibility to provide every participant with 1.5 m2 of exhibi-tion space.
- The organizers have the responsibility to either hand or send every participant a diploma attesting to their participation in the event.
- The participants are responsible for following these rules and regulations and to provide accurate information to the organizers.
- The participants are responsible for paying, through wire transfer or PayPal, the ac-ceptance fee until May 3rd, 2019 at the latest.
- The participants are responsible to bring or send their works to the event and to make sure that they are suitably packaged.
- The participants are responsible for granting the organizers the right to use their pictures free of charge for promotional purposes.
- The participants are solely responsible for the sale methods they use, according to the laws in their country of origin.
- The participants are accountable for any potential damage to the work or theft throughout the days of the event.
- The participants are responsible to be at their stand all throughout the event, being able to provide a replacement for an hour at the most. Failing to do so will prevent the participants to be able to apply for future editions of the fair.
- The participants are responsible to bring two lamps in order to provide better lighting to their stand, as the natural lighting of the exhibition space will not suffice.
- The participants have the responsibility to bring and show the visitors their business cards throughout the event.
- All updates and press releases regarding the event will be posted on the official website www.caolin.ro or sent via the official email: email@example.com. For any other details, en-quiries or requests, please contact us.
- The selection committee is made up of three competent nationally and internationally re-nowned artists, who will remain anonymous to ensure a smooth running of the event. The selection committee will evaluate the online applications and then select the participating work. Complaints will not be accepted after the online selection has been made public.
- The organizers have the right to modify the terms and conditions to ensure a smooth run-ning of the event. Should any change occur, the participating artists will be informed via email.
- All applying artists are encouraged to promote or visit CAOLIN 2019, even if their work hasn’t been selected for the event.
March 16th, 2019